The knitting kick continues. For my 30th Birthday my dear friend Amanda (maker of all things awesome) gave me a bag of ORANGE worsted weight yarn from Grandma’s-Dead-Friend (where we all end up with the most random craft supplies from). When searching around for something to use 11 skeins of yarn for I found this pattern for a knitted under petticoat. We’re going to Gettysburg in November when it’s cold and drafty under those hoops, seemed like a match made in heaven.
I of course had to make a few changes because I was using worsted weight yarn on size 8 needles instead of lace weight (beggar’s can’t be choosers). I only did two panels instead of three, each of which ended up around 35″ wide. I only did four stripes of five rows instead of the six called for in the pattern, and only 16 rows of ribbing instead of 24 to avoid having a floor length skirt.
I really thought it was going to take FOREVER to knit but it took almost exactly a month, big needles FTW!…Although I still have I think 5 skeins of orange left…any one have any ideas what one can do with a ton of orange worsted wool yarn? I’m definitely looking for something.
My friend Katherine recently made a knitted muff from an 1847 pattern. She has a great blog post about how she did it with the complete pattern. This tickled my fancy for a few reasons. 1. saying “muff” repeatedly in a blog entry (snerk, I am an adult). 2. We’re deep in planning for Remembrance Day weekend this year so I have Mid-Victorian on the brain. And 3; I can’t close the knitting basket (it’s a big basket) due to all the yarn in there due for a project or mostly leftover from a project. So I grabbed some silk-bamboo leftovers and decided to have a go.
I don’t do subtle
I used size 8 needles and Paton’s silk-bamboo-something-I-bought-two-years-ago-and-lost-the-label-for. The only change I made to Katherine’s pattern was to increase the number of stitches I cast on to 56. The original pattern was for a child’s muff, and well Katherine has child sized hands!
The way you knit it with two colors makes a cool overlay effect. I think I liked it better on Katherine’s more subtle pink and white…buuuut this is what was in the basket.
close up of meshy mesh
I made draw strings out of self yarn but they didn’t seem like enough so then I added purple bows. Why purple? I have this ribbon still left over from my wedding. It. Never. Ends.
Overall? I feel pretty meh about it. I used ever last scrap of blue yarn I had and barely got it to 16″ long so the muff isn’t as big as I wanted it. and I was scraping by on fumes to get the tassels out of the cream so they seem kinda piddly to me. Apparently I like big fluffy muffs [insert inappropriate comment]. But I’m really glad I did it, by far this was the most complicated thing I’ve ever knitted, and the first with two colors! (odd then that it was just a rectangle).
So anyone want a blue muff?
I’ve been trying to fight off a cold the past two days and while that means I’ve gotten basically zero housework done (bad as my in-laws arrive tomorrow) but I have managed to finish my enormous shawl for Gettysburg.
I used this pattern on Ravelry from an 1864 Godey’s Ladies magazine. It’s all done in Paton’s classic wool and took 4 skeins of the natural marl (which was on clearance, thus began the whole project), one of blue and one and a little bit of the berry. The pattern is really clever, the chevron shape is formed by regular increases in the center back. It’s all basic garter stitch, so not complicated, just huge! I started it in the middle of August so it took a bit over a month with a big pause in the middle for my birthday dress. For anyone who’s curious I knitted the center portion until it was 25″ long or a smidge less than three whole skeins of the marl. And the fringe took an entire skein.
I’m planning to wear this to Gettysburg for Remembrance Day in November, so far it’s now the only thing I’ve finished…so I’m basically currently going in a hoop, corset and giant shawl…at least I’m not naked! …I better get sewing!